Saturday, March 19, 2011

Adnan's letter to Rabbi Weiss

I love you Rabbi Weiss and I wish we had the freedom to invite people like yourself to speak and even reside in a land like ours, the Arabian Peninsula. I felt ashamed when I was touring the National Museum in Yemen and came across some photos of Yemeni Jewish families hung on the walls of that Museum. I felt ashamed that they are now part of the country's history belonging in museums rather than being active members of the country's present society belonging in communities and other civil organisations. Many of us today do miss the Jewish presence and their contribution in our societies. Zion Golan is a popular Jewish figure of Yemeni origins, now enjoys a level popularity in his country of origin that other Arabic or Muslim artists can only dream of. As you repeatedly say, we have had no co-existence problems; it's just the aftermath of the establishment of Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment